Lying down between two big Lithuanian roads with the ribbon of railway and a bustling motorway, Kaišiadorys district is located in the middle of the heart of Lithuania, between the most important cities: Vilnius and Kaunas. There is the real Lithuania – between the four historical capitals and two largest rivers, moreover, three ethnographic regions meet in Kaišiadorys land. Kaišiadorys were mentioned in 1590. However, as a town it developed in 1860 since the railway and the train station were established.
There is wonderful landscape and plenty of cultural places that attract tourists: the ancient farmsteads, mounds, tumuli, stones, trees, churches, the graves of soldiers, monuments, manors, etc. One of the most attracting places is the open air folk museum of Lithuania in Rumšiškės. It is famous not only for its expositions but also for its traditional events which uphold the traditions of ancient Lithuanians. In Padaliai village is the only ferryboat still available to raft by the river Neris. Kaišiadorys is the center of diocese. There are 12 churches and many chapels in Kaišiadorys district.
Such famous people as the unifier of Lithuanian spirit Cardinal Vincentas Sladkevičius and the President of Lithuanian Republic Algirdas Mykolas Brazauskas grew up in Kaišiadorys district. There are many other famous people who are associated with the name of Kaišiadorys.